20 things I had to figure out myself as a Triathlete
Posted: Sep 08 2014Not many people will tell you the “little” things that add up over time. Especially when you decide to do a triathlon. As a busy mom with 2 kids and my 21 year old special needs daughter, we have different personalities and schedules to accommodate. Don’t forget the fact I have 2 dogs, which as many of you know, might as well be 2 additional kids.
Most often we are strapped for time as it is in day to day things. If you are a mom you know this! One bad morning can give you anxiety and deserve a much needed trip to Starbucks or skip the gym and get a pedicure. Whatever the situation you may be working full time, part time, full time housewife or what we like to call a Domestic Engineer, Domestic Goddess, etc.
Finding time to accomplish a goal of Triathlon, is just a feat in itself. The thought that it enters your mind, is half the battle, so congratulations....I think???
The last 4 years has been an awesome journey of trying to ride the Triathlon roller coaster. Here are some things to get you through the barriers of deciding or to laugh at yourself if you already do.
- Naps are a necessity, take them when you need to and often.
- Aches and pains are a part of daily living, get over it OR GET A FOAM ROLLER
- Sleep? What’s that?
- Endurance Nutrition, gels, electrolyte drinks etc, another expense
- Gym membership, local Tri club membership, USAT membership, Yoga studio Membership, its common to have all.
- You will have to become a morning person to get your workouts in.
- You will pee in your wetsuit and on yourself.
- You will go through 2-4 different brands of bike or tri shorts until you find the “right” one, kind of like dating.
- So you think you are not type A? Think again
- Infamous Words, "I am doing a Triathlon", turns into "OH, I am “just” doing a Sprint"
- Lube, Glide, Vaseline, Sunblock, yes you need these in bulk.
- When someone yells ON YOUR LEFT, it means move TO THE RIGHT.
- Be sure to Budget and include race entries...Did I mention more expenses?
- Vacations are replaced with races
- You see your triathlon friends more than your regular friends
- You have more workout clothing than regular clothing
- You determine when to wash your hair around your workouts. Why wash today when you are swimming tomorrow?
- Counting calories brings on a whole new meaning.
- Ebay and amazon become your most used apps because you don't have time to shop, oh and you just added expenses. cheaper=better
- No you don't need a bucket of water to wash your feet
By: Luana Concepcion